Monday, October 21, 2013

Who Me?



This week I spent some time speaking truth into my children.  Sometimes as a parent I forget the power of my words and their influence in my kids lives.  As I was talking to Christopher aka Topher I began speaking into his ear the vision I believe God has for his life.  “Topher,” I said, “you are going to be a man of God.  Jesus has claimed you as his own.  God has incredible plans for you to change this world for Jesus Christ.”  I continued with my words of encouragement, but what surprised me was Topher’s reaction.  Embarrassed by my praise, Topher turned to me replied, “Who Me?”  “Mom, are you talking about me?”  
There are moments in our lives where we doubt ourselves, moments when we doubt what others say about us, and even moments when we doubt God’s claim on our lives.  We are beloved children of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!  But sometimes when we hear words of encouragement; when we hear words of praise, we like Topher ask the question “Who Me?”  Who am I?  What does God want with me?  I can’t help but think that is how those first disciples felt as Jesus called them to “Come follow me.”  I can imagine them saying to themselves, “Who Me?”  Yes You!  But not just those first disciples-you!  God is calling you!  God has filled you with an incredible passion and purpose and God wants to see you live it out!  
This week we are focusing on our passions and purpose.  We are going to make commitments to God-both financial commitments and servant commitments.  You don’t have to know exactly what you want to do, but just know the area of ministry you would like to serve in and designate that on your commitment card.  You can also make a financial contribution (pledge) on those cards as well and then bring them to worship with you on Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.  
You are a man of God-you are a woman of God!  God has an incredible purpose for you life!  That purpose is to radically transform this community, city, nation, and world for Jesus Christ!  I can’t wait to see how God uses you and Topher to change the world!  

On mission with you, 

Pastor Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment