Sunday, November 3, 2013

Why School Changed My Life

Dear Educators, Teachers, Administrators, School Staff, and Coaches:

Maybe I didn’t walk your halls, perhaps you never taught me to read, maybe you didn’t have to pick up the mess I left in the cafeteria, or even discipline me when I got rowdy riding the school bus, but someone just like you did. I spent my educational years being encouraged, mentored, and taught by the best. Some teachers, others administrator, still others school staff and coaches. These men and women invested in me, and I recognize just how their words of encouragement changed my life. Miss Hilbert ignited in me a love for writing, Mrs. Maxson a love for teaching, Mr. Woodward a passion for History, Mrs. Morris the belief that I could achieve anything, Mrs. Cunningham a desire for creativity, Mr. Saxton a dream for my future, and many many more. I grew up in place once described to me as “a thin slice of life.” Opportunities didn’t necessarily abound, and yet from a very early age I understood that education mattered. Why? Because it mattered to you! You planted within my heart a desire to learn. With your passion and dedication to the art of learning, you ignited within me a flame that has never died. Although it’s been years since I’ve walked through the halls of a primary or secondary school, I never stopped learning. Learning was the one way, the one avenue I had to experience transformation in my life. God’s dream for my life could be fulfilled because of the doors that were opened to me through a love for learning. That love for learning was planted by you, or at least in me by people like you. I imagine that you have kids in your classrooms, kids roaming your halls, kids sitting in your cafeteria with dreams for their lives, and you hold within your hand the key to their future. You can unlock within them a love for learning. But we have to do our part. This week, those living within the Oak Hills School District will be voting on a levy. As a parent of an Oak Hills student I can’t help but think about how important you are in her life, and how important you will be in the lives of her brothers. I think about how education has changed since I started school over 25 years ago-the pressure, the testing, the expectations, the requirements. Things are different and yet even though education has changed, your influence over the lives of young people hasn’t. You can change lives. I am praying for you this week, and I am encouraging my church family to pray for you as well. We are praying that as people vote they too think about the future of our community and the dreams of our children. I know it’s a lot of pressure being an educator-holding within your hands the future of a new generation, but I suspect you are up for the challenge. I thank you for your passion, I thank you for your patience, and I thank you for changing the lives of student’s just like me.

 Praying for you,



 Rev. Rachel Billups

3 comments:

  1. I see my teacher freinds and family as pretty discouraged and overwhelmed these days. i, too, appreciate my teachers, both in formal and informal teaching roles. It is so kind and wise of you to acknowledge their work and dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    Thank you for writing this! It put a bounce in my step this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,

    As the parent of a teacher, I truly appreciate your kind and encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete