Monday, July 15, 2013

Hurry Up and Wait


“Wait for the Lord;  be strong and take heart  and wait for the Lord” (Psalm 27: 14 NIV).  

I’ve got to be honest, I hate to wait.  I’m not naturally a patient person.  I don’t like to wait in lines, I don’t like to wait for my Wifi to work, and I certainly am not found of waiting for big events to happen in my life.  So you can imagine that I am not doing a great job of waiting on the Lord these days.  As I write today’s blog I am 12 days and counting from my due date.  If the past is any indication of the future, I may have to wait a few extra days before I meet the child that has occupied my body over the last 9 months.  You could say, “it’s worth the wait.” True, but in the midst of being uncomfortable, anxious, and just in general as busy as I can possibly be, waiting is the last thing on my to do list.  

You might find yourself waiting.  Maybe it’s not a baby that you are waiting for.  Maybe it’s an answer, a decision, a job, or even a friend.  But a lot of life seems like a hurry up and wait.  If we don’t pay attention to the waiting, we will miss a lot.  In our “need for speed” sometimes we can fail to reflect, fail to enjoy, and fail to wait for the presence of the Lord in our lives.  Just as a new born baby is worth the wait, so is the presence of God.  God is worth the wait.  I wonder do you ever spend time waiting for the Lord.  Sitting in a quiet place: on a porch, in the woods, or even just at your kitchen table; quiet, listening, waiting on the Lord?  It’s not easy, especially for hurry up and wait people like me, but it makes all the difference.  It gives us time to breathe, it gives us time to reflect, it gives us time to live in the present moment.  

I may be in a hurry to have this baby but I don’t want to miss the opportunity to wait for God.  


Blessings, 

Pastor Rachel   

No comments:

Post a Comment