Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A New Dream



Have you ever given up on a dream?  Have you said goodbye to something that you were hoping for but just never really panned out?  Has someone in your life died and when they died so did that dream?  Truth be told we’ve given up many dreams throughout our lifetimes. When I was a little girl I dreamed of being a country music star (remember I grew up in the heart of the Hocking Hills).  I would ride my bike throughout our “neighborhood” making up songs and dreaming of the day that I would sing in front of thousands of people.  But as I grew up and my fear of singing in front of people grew larger, I realized that dream would never be actualized-no Grand Ole Opry, no CMAs, no glitter and rhinestones- no country music superstar.  Many of us dream these kinds of dreams and whether you dreamed of the day when you would bat for the Reds or spend your Sunday afternoons returning kick-offs for the Bengals, those dreams come and go with little to no emotional damage.  But what about other dreams: relationships that never come to pass, careers that never come to fruition, children that die suddenly.  What about those dreams? 
This week we are continuing to read through the book of Job and Job begins and ends with dreams.  Both in the preface and epilogue of the book of Job we see dreams that die and dreams that are revived.  It’s interesting that Job (which some scholars believe to be the oldest book of the Bible) is so human, so emotional, so much like real life.  Job’s dreams are shattered when he loses not only his possessions, but especially his children.  I guarantee Job had dreams for each and every one of those 7 sons and 3 daughters.  Normal kind of parent dreams like having a career, family, and a future.  As a parent of soon to be 3 children, I dream of the day when my kids will graduate high school, college and even graduate school.  I notice special traits about them and wonder what career, what calling has God placed on their lives?  And so I can imagine Job dreamed incredible dreams for these kids.  So no wonder he collapsed when he found out that those dreams were smashed by the walls of the home of one of his children.  And frankly Job spends a lot of time questioning and wondering why those dreams have to die.  But God doesn’t leave Job dreamless.  No; by the end of the book, by the epilogue, God has given Job a set of dreams, a new life, a new career, and even, yes, a new family.  Do I believe for a second that Job forgot those old dreams?  No, but those old dreams didn’t keep Job from living out the new ones.  Sometimes we have to let go of old dreams to allow God to birth a new dream within our hearts, minds, and souls.  So I wonder, what new dreams is God birthing in you?  What dreams are you being asked to dream?           

No comments:

Post a Comment