Thursday, April 11, 2013

Who influenced you?


This week I was asked the question, “What lay people (not pastors) have influenced your life?”  As I began to reflect on that question my mind immediately went back to my days at South Perry United Methodist Church.  South Perry was a small country church with no more than about 50 people attending worship and pastors came and went on a really frequent basis.  Some influenced my life others I barely remember, but there were so many lay people, men and women who not only lead me to faith in Jesus Christ, but also helped me discover God’s call on my life.  I think about Bob Voris: my Sunday School teacher with no more than a 9th grade education, Maggie and Darrell Arnett who always encouraged me and invested in any ministry with youth and children, Narcie and Roy Stahr who set aside funds monthly so that I and others could participate in United Methodist Conference and District events.  Not to mention the Gladys Schaws who spoke encouraging and prophetic words over us like, “Could God be asking you to do something special?”  Many people in my life and the life of my peers stood up, raised their hands and said, "yes I will make a difference, I will invest in a young person!"
Perhaps you should ask yourself the same question: what lay people have influenced your life?  Maybe you too will have a Bob Voris or a Gladys Schaw in your story.  But we are not invested in, influenced and encouraged to leave it there, no it’s our turn.  It's our turn to raise our hands, to stand up and to speaks words of life into the next generation.  You may not realize it but we have 9 confirmands, junior high students, who are making a commitment to Jesus Christ and Shiloh.  Another 13 high schoolers and young adults that are exploring their calls in life through MAC (Ministry as Career) Change the current.  And this weekend 40 plus DRIVE high school students will be on retreat growing in their relationships with God and others.  It  is incredible to think about the opportunity we have to influence children, teens, and young adults in our church and throughout our community.  But it doesn’t stop there, this summer we will have two summer interns through the Matthew 77 project and the generosity of this church.  And I want to challenge you to consider investing in a young persons life.  When you contribute to the Matthew 77 project you are helping to pay for expenses, but more so a scholarship for a college student who spends the summer exploring youth ministry and a call into ministry through Shiloh.  This is a great opportunity and I want to invite you to invest in it.
Although I am not a child, a teen or even a young adult, I also want to thank you for the influence you have had and continue to have on my life.  Your faithful service to Jesus and to Shiloh has inspired me to be a better pastor, leader, wife and mother.  So continue to claim this church, community, city, nation, and world for Jesus Christ by investing in others.

Blessings, 

Pastor Rachel  

No comments:

Post a Comment