Thursday, December 27, 2012

New Year's Resolutions!


Although there are many people in the world that think it is pointless to make New Year’s Resolutions, I’m not one of them. I’ve seen too many people finally put on their running shoes, lose that extra 50 pounds or even read the Bible for the first time to think that New Year’s Resolutions are pointless.  In fact a few years ago I made a New Year’s Resolution to start running again and 4 years later I’m still running.  What was my secret?  Accountability!  I shared my New Year’s Resolution with a church full of people and gained a couple of running partners along the way.  And without people to hold me accountable I don’t think I would still be running.  And so Shiloh I want to challenge you, not to put on your running shoes, but rather to read with Bible with me in 2013.  Maybe some of you have never read the Bible, maybe others just portions of it, but in 2013 I would like for everyone in our church to read the Bible from start to finish.   
We will begin on January 15, 2013 and finish January 14, 2014.  And to help with some accountability along the way, not only am I going to be preaching sermons about what we are reading (The Bible Reading Plan), but we also have a few ways for you to study the Bible this year in groups.  They include:

  1. Disciple Bible Study- we have 2 Disciple Bible Study Classes taught on Monday and Thursday Nights at 7pm.  These are 32-34 week commitments and are incredible ways to really study God’s word in depth.  Disciple I is a course that is a overview of the whole Bible and Disciple IV focuses on parts of the New and Old Testament with a focus on John and Revelation.  
  2. Mid-week Bible Study- if anyone grew up in a church that had a midweek service this is the kind of thing you are use to.  Mid-week Bible study will also happen on Thursday Nights in the Sanctuary at 7pm and we will be talking about the Bible Reading Plan we read throughout the week.  It’s a Large Group opportunity for you to hear a Bible teaching and ask questions about what you don’t understand.  This will run the entire year (we may take a slight break in the summer).  And you can come and go as your schedule allows.  
  3. Life Groups- formerly known as Community Groups.  These groups will last throughout the year (taking breaks in the summer).  And they will focus on applying the weekly Bible Reading Plan to everyday life.  These groups are really focused on doing life together.  Most groups will meet in homes, other groups at the church.  If you are interested in leading a Life Group contact me at rachel@shilohumc.com or 451-3600 #105 

Reading through the Bible is a huge deal, not only is it a major accomplishment, but every time we read and meditate on God’s word we are bound to grow in our journey of faith.  So this year I want to encourage you to take up this resolution and Read the Bible in 2013!  


Blessings, 
Pastor Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment